It’s Friday, so let’s jump right in! We’re going to be sharing a two-part series on how you can revamp your display advertising strategy within the next few months. First up, we’re going to discuss what you should be looking for in an ABM ads vendor.
What to Look for in an Account-Based Advertising Vendor
First things first, whether you’re new to ABM or a veteran practitioner, it’s never a bad time to revisit your ABM tech stack. Are your tools up to date? Are they helping you work towards your goals?
Ad tech is an important piece of technology because it’s one of the primary tools companies use to grow brand awareness. Additionally, in an ABM strategy, account-based advertising can help reinforce sales messaging and boost customer campaigns.
Here are three questions to ask about your account-based advertising technology:
- How many types of targeting do I have to choose from?
When it comes to account-based ads, there are multiple types of targeting. People often ask, what’s the best type of targeting? But it’s not about the best type of targeting. Different types of targeting allow for different levels of granularity. You’ll want to choose the right type of targeting for specific campaign goals.
- IP address – Anyone in a specific building or geography. This type of targeting is best for growing brand awareness.
- Persona cookie – 3rd party cookies based on behavioral profiling. This is ideal for engaging the entire buying group.
- Contact cookie – Email addresses matched to devices. This enables you to reach key stakeholders.
- Contextual keyword targeting – Anyone visiting a page that contains a specific keyword. This type is great for delivering the right messaging to the right people.
- Website retargeting – Anyone who visited your website. This type of targeting is best for reinforcing messaging and keeping stakeholders engaged.
Targeting is especially important as people are working remotely. As company IP data becomes less relevant, identifying account traffic based on IP alone is not enough. Make sure your ABM platform can handle this shift, as this trend is not going away anytime soon.
At Triblio, we handle it by leveraging machine learning to power account targeting. We’ve noticed that as IP data has become less valuable, people are spending more time online, increasing the amount of cookie data available. In cases where a device has visited your site previously, Triblio is able to key off of their IP history to identify the account, even if they’re now coming from a residential IP (i.e. working remotely).
Additionally, using cookie-targeting, Triblio is able to target prospects’ or customers’ devices with display ads, even while they’re temporarily working from home. With that in mind, some targeted devices (especially desktop computers) could be left in offices, so the total volume of impressions served could experience an overall decline.
2. What metrics can I track by account?
The ideal account-based advertising vendor provides the standard metrics of traditional display advertising by account and by campaign. For example:
- Impressions by account and by campaign
- Clicks, click-through rate by account and by campaign
- View-throughs, view-through rate by account and by campaign
- New pipeline (number and dollar amount) from targeted
- Revenue from targeted accounts
Considering various vendors? Ask for sample reports that include your target accounts. This allows you to see what kind of data you’ll be getting day-to-day and what insights you’ll be able to leverage to optimize campaigns.
At Triblio, our account-based advertising reporting is heavily focused on proving campaign impact on pipeline. The Account 360 Timeline provides a total view of ad impressions, web visits, sales meetings, and more across the purchase journey, and the Funnel Impact Report measures the change in accounts that are unengaged, reached, engaged, MQAs, and in pipeline for each account segment.
3. Does the vendor have the capability to run cross-channel campaigns and/or integrate with your existing martech tools?
Display ads shouldn’t be a standalone tool within your marketing strategy. A viable ads vendor will be able to simultaneously work alongside the CRM of your choice, your marketing automation platform, social platforms, and your analytics tool. Triblio clients often see the benefit of display advertising across channels, and the results are amplified when campaigns leverage multi-channel orchestration.
For example, you can run the same messaging and creative across the web through account-based ads, personalize the website according to the campaign, and trigger sales plays with talk tracks that match the campaign messaging for that segment. That way, you’re reinforcing and amplifying unified messaging across channels to create a consistent buyer experience.
If you’re thinking about starting out with account-based advertising, we hope you’ve found blog post helpful and approach the vendor vetting process with these questions in mind. Interested in speaking with one of our ABM Experts to find out how Triblio can drive pipeline growth? Click here to schedule a conversation!